The Quebec Immigrant Investor Program is the only program that allows Foreign Nationals to immigrate to Canada permanently as passive investors. Passive investment means that investor is not required to establish or actively manage a business.
The program requires an investment of C$1.2 million into a prescribed (government guaranteed) investment. Applicants must have the intention of settling in the French-speaking province of Quebec.
ADVANTAGES OF THE QUEBEC IMMIGRANT INVESTOR PROGRAM
- Investment without risk: The investment of CAD $1,200,000 is guaranteed by the Quebec government and returned in full after five years.
- Passive investment: No active managerial role is required after the investment is made.
- Family included in the application: All immediate members of the candidate's family (spouse and dependent children) are included in the application and have the same status as the candidate.
- Benefits of permanent resident status: Enjoy the same benefits provided to Canadians (universal health care, free public education, access to world-class universities, etc.)
Step 1: Selection
Québec is responsible for selecting business immigrants who wish to settle in its territory. Québec exercises its exclusive power to select business immigrants according to criteria it has determined based on its immigration objectives. To be selected, applicants must meet the requirements of Quebec Immigrant Investor Program by submitting an application for permanent selection. During the application assessment process, applicants may be invited to a selection interview in Montréal.
If selected, applicants will receive a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ). It is called Certificat de sélection du Québec in French. It is an official immigration document issued by the Government of Québec.
Step 2: Admission
Federal Government of Canada is responsible for the admission of business immigrants to its territory. The Government of Canada admits to Québec only those business applicants that have been selected by Québec. To be admitted as permanent residents (PR), selected applicants and their family members must apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for permanent residence and pass the required medical examination and security screenings.
To be eligible for the Investor Program, you must:
- Have, alone or with your accompanying spouse or de facto spouse, legally acquired net assets of at least C$2,000,000, excluding any amounts received by donation less than six months before your application is submitted
- Have management experience for at least two years in the five years preceding the application for selection. This experience must include duties related to the planning, management and control of financial, human or material resources under your authority. This does not include experience acquired in an apprenticeship, training or specialization leading to a diploma
- Intend to settle in Québec
- Sign an Investment Agreement with a financial intermediary (broker or trust company) authorized to participate in the Investor Program
- Make a five-year term investment of C$1,200,000 with Investissement Québec - Immigrants Investisseurs Inc.
- Obtain, by the prescribed deadline, an attestation of learning about democratic values and the Québec values. The members of your family accompanying you (your spouse of 16 years of age or older and your dependent children of 18 years of age or older) must also obtain the attestation.
If you are eligible for the Investor Program, your application will also be assessed on other factors as well, such as your age, education, language skills, past stay in Quebec, family in Quebec, and adaptability. The maximum points available on the selection grid are 94. A minimum passing score of 40 points is required. If you are eligible for the program, you will get 10 mandatory points for management experience and 25 mandatory points for financial investment. To meet the passing score of 40 points, you only need 5 additional points on other factors.
Knowledge of French and/or English is not necessary. You can easily get the 5 additional points without proficiency in French and/or English if you satisfy only one of the following example requirements:
- Your age is anywhere from 18 years to 47 years. 18-45 years age gets you 10 points. 46 years age gets you 8 points. 47 years age gets you 6 points
- If your age is 48 years or more, you will have to score some points on education factor. For example, if you are 48 years old and have secondary school general diploma, you will get 6 points (4 points for age + 2 points for education). If you are 49 years old and have a post-secondary general diploma of 2 years, you will get 6 points (2 points for age + 4 points for education). If your age is 50 years or more and you have an undergraduate university degree of 2 years, you will get 6 points (0 points for age + 6 points for education.
For more permutations and combinations, you can refer to the points for education and age given below. Please note that the province of Quebec reserves the right to make changes to this POINTS GRID at any time. Also, please note that this is not a complete POINTS GRID since points for factors like experience, financial investment, language proficiency, past stay in Quebec, family in Quebec, adaptability are not listed below.
|Level of Education||Secondary school general diploma||2|
|Secondary school vocational diploma||6|
|Post-secondary general diploma: 2 years||4|
|Post-secondary technical diploma: 2 years||6|
|Post-secondary technical diploma: 3 years||8|
|Undergraduate studies: 1 year||4|
|Undergraduate studies: 2 years||6|
|Undergraduate studies: 3 years or more||10|
|Age||18 to 45 years||10|
|50 years or more||0|
Useful information on Investment Agreement
If you are applying for permanent selection as an investor, the investment agreement is one of the documents to be submitted with the permanent selection application.
- You must sign an investment agreement with one of the financial intermediaries - brokers or trust companies - authorized by the Government of Québec.
- The investment of C$1,200,000 for a five-year term is guaranteed by the Government of Québec.
- Brokers and trust companies offer the possibility of financing the investment.
- At the end of the five-year term, the broker or trust company will reimburse the applicant C$1,200,000 without interest, within 30 days. However, the amount reimbursed may vary if the applicant secured financing for the investment.
The intake of permanent selection applications under the Investor Program has been suspended from November 1, 2019 to March 31, 2021 in order to allow time for the program to be reviewed. If and when the intake is opened after March 31, 2021, there may be changes made to the program by the Government of Quebec.